The word “chai” literally means “tea”. It consists of a blend of herbs and spices. In India this drink is known as a masala chai blend, but it is more commonly known as a chai latte. There is no set recipe for a chai latte, but a few ingredients can always be found: black tea, herbs like ginger, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon and of course cloves. These flavours combined make for a deliciously warm and sweet flavour.
You can buy the masala chai blend as loose tea or in a tea bag. However, a traditional chai is made with loose tea, herbs and spices, milk and water. By letting it steep all the flavours make for a full and intense taste experience. This is how you make a chai latte!
• 4 tea spoons loose black tea
• 2 cardamom pods
• 2 cloves
• 1 star anise
• 1 peppercorn
• Half a tea spoon cinnamon
• Half a tea spoon ginger powder
• Half a vanilla stick
• A dash of nutmeg
• 2 cups of milk
• Put the cardamom, cloves, star anise and peppercorn in a mortar and bruise with the pestle
• Put the milk in a pan on medium heat
• When the milk is warm, add the tea, the herbs and spices, the ginger powder, the vanilla stick, the nutmeg and the cinnamon
• Let simmer for 10 minutes but don’t bring to a boil!
• Strain the mixture
• Pour into a high glass and add a tea spoon of honey to taste
Are you looking for more inspiration? Take a look at our other blogs.